Do you have a question?We have the answer!

Am I required to pay for certain services?

Some services aren’t reimbursed by the Quebec Health Insurance Board (RAMQ), so you’ll have to assume the cost.
For example, for filling out certain forms or for transporting samples.
We only accept cash payments.
You’ll be given a receipt for tax and insurance purposes.

Click here to view the current fee schedule.

Patients who deem that any amounts charged to them after December 6, 2015 are either for services that are insured under the Health Insurance Act or for fees incurred in the process of accessing such services may submit a written claim for reimbursement to the Quebec Health Insurance Board. If the Board determines that such billing was not permissible, the patient will be reimbursed for the corresponding amount, which the Board will, in turn, recover from the professional or third party in question.

I need to have a form filled out.

If you have a form that needs to be filled out after a medical visit, please leave the form at the reception desk. Make sure that you have completed and signed your section. Your physician will complete it within 30 days, and you’ll be notified once it’s ready. There are fees for filling out most forms that aren’t related to services covered by the Quebec Health Insurance Board. Click here to view the current fee schedule.

I need to have a prescription refilled.

It’s preferable to make an appointment with your family physician to renew your prescriptions. If you don’t believe that a visit is necessary, you can call the reception desk to request a refill order. It’s important not to wait until the last minute to notify us. Please try to let us know at least one month before the prescription expires.

You can drop off your full list of medications in person at the reception desk or you can ask your pharmacist to fax it to us.

Your pharmacist can also tide you over by extending your prescription for one or more months.

Please be aware that your physician will require an office visit in order to renew prescriptions for opiates (morphine, hydromorphone, fentanyl, etc.).

I would like a copy of the results of my x-rays and lab tests.

You can click here to access all of your radiology and laboratory results on the Québec Health Booklet website.

However, because you may have difficulty understanding certain medical terms that appear in these reports, your physician may wish to meet with you to discuss them.

I’m looking for a family physician.

If you don’t have a family doctor and would like to find one, you can put your name on the waiting list for your region using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF).

Click here.

My health insurance card is lost or expired.

In Quebec, health care isn’t free. It’s paid by the Quebec Health Insurance Board. You will be asked to present your RAMQ card every time you have a medical appointment.

If you become aware that your card has been lost or is expired and you have an upcoming appointment, please notify the receptionist as soon as possible. The receptionist will tell you what steps you need to take.

I would like a referral to a specialist.

If you believe that you have a medical condition that requires the services of a specialist, please make an appointment with your family physician first to get his or her opinion. If necessary, your physician will then refer you to the appropriate specialist.


For flu vaccinations or to have your children vaccinated, please visit your local community service center (CLSC).

By choosing to be vaccinated, you’re assuring yourself of the best protection against certain serious illnesses.